PHP Login System with Admin Features

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PHP Login System with Admin Features

This forum was created to talk about the PHP Login System with admin features created by jpmaster77 on evolt's website

3 posters

Login using username or email

valeryo
    valeryo

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

Login using username or email Empty Login using username or email

Post  valeryo Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,
    would be possible to login using either username or e-mail address in the username field?
    Linchpin311
    Linchpin311

Number of posts : 220
    Registration date : 2007-05-14

Login using username or email Empty Re: Login using username or email

Post  Linchpin311 Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:34 pm

thats a good question. i dont recall anyone asking for this type of mod before.

of course just about all things are possible, it just depends on how much you are willing to alter the code. im sure there are several ways to skin this cat, but the first thing that comes to mind is to alter the way the script attempts to log a user on. currently, the script is modeled to query the database for a username that matches the users input. if that query doesnt return any rows, the login fails. what i would do, is if the login fails in this way, tell the script to run the same query again except this time for a email addy that matches the users input. if this fails, then the login fails, but if a row is returned, the script will then attempt to encrypt the users password input and check it against the encrypted password in the database.
    valeryo
    valeryo

Post  valeryo Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks.

Have you got some code to paste here?
    Linchpin311
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:36 pm

i dont have anything ready-made, but ill see what i can cook up tomorrow night when i have a little more time.
    valeryo
    valeryo

Post  valeryo Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks for the support. I'm waiting for your post Wink
    Linchpin311
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm

sorry for being late, i though i would have had more time the other night, and i must admit that this was a little more involved than i thought it was going to be, but nevertheless...

im thinking the easiest way to add this feature to the script would be to edit the function that checks the database to match a username against what the user has submitted. we should be able to amend that so if the function fails to find a matching username in the database, it then checks to see if it can find a matching email address.

we will start with database.php and the confirmUserPass function. look for the following code in that function (should start around line 57):
    Code:
    /* Verify that user is in database */
    $q = "SELECT password FROM ".TBL_USERS." WHERE username = '$username'";
    $result = mysql_query($q, $this->connection);
    if(!$result || (mysql_numrows($result) < 1)){
       return 1; //Indicates username failure
    }
    now as im sure you have guessed by now, this block of code verifies that user is in database by way of checking the users input against the usernames currently in the database. if the database is queried and mysql doesnt return any rows, the functions displays the familiar username error message. what we are looking to do is that if the query doesnt return any rows, run another query checking the users input against email addresses currently in the database. we can do this pretty simply by editing the code above to something more like this:
    Code:
    /* Verify that user is in database */
    $q = "SELECT password FROM ".TBL_USERS." WHERE username = '$username'";
       $q = "SELECT username, password FROM ".TBL_USERS." WHERE email = '$username'";
          return 1; //Indicates username failure
       }
    }
    just as i said before, this new block of code looks for a username first and if that fails, then tries to look for an email address. now if both of these checks fail we will display that username error message. of course if either one of these queries returns a row, we will move on to the next step which is checking the password the user submitted against the one attached to our username or email address.

that brings us to our next step. still inside database.php and the confirmUserPass function look for this code (around line 73):
    Code:
    /* Validate that password is correct */
    if($password == $dbarray['password']){
       return 0; //Success! Username and password confirmed
    }
    else{
       return 2; //Indicates password failure
    }
    once again, im sure you figured out this block of code is in charge of validating that the password is correct. the only thing is that if we are logging on with an email address, we are going to need to pass the username that goes with that email on to session.php so we need to make a small change here. since we still need to pass a value of 0 onto session.php were gonna create a quick little array to hold both the value of 0 and the username in one place. go ahead and change the code above to:
    Code:
    /* Validate that password is correct */
    if($password == $dbarray['password']){
       $return_array = array();
       $return_array[0] = 0;
       if(isset($dbarray['username'])){
          // if were logging on with an email address we
          // need to pass the username back to session.php
          $return_array[1] = $dbarray['username'];
       }
       return $return_array; //Success! Username and password confirmed
    }
    else{
       return 2; //Indicates password failure
    }
    this new code does pretty much exactly what the old code did except for one thing - if the password the user submitted matches the password in the database, we create an array called $return_array whos first value is 0 which indicates the username and password were confirmed. we then check to see if $dbarray['username'] (the username) exists, which it will if the user attempted to log on with an email address. if it does, we add a second value of $dbarray['username'] (again, the username) to our $return_array array (of course if the user logged on with their username $dbarray['username'] would not exist and the code inside the conditional would not be executed). that should pretty much wrap it up for database.php.

and so its on to session.php to make a few final changes. inside of session.php look for the function login and the block of code (around line 128):
    Code:
    /* Username error checking */
    $field = "user";  //Use field name for username
    if(!$subuser || strlen($subuser = trim($subuser)) == 0){
       $form->setError($field, "* Username not entered");
    }
    else{
       /* Check if username is not alphanumeric */
       if(!eregi("^([0-9a-z])*$", $subuser)){
          $form->setError($field, "* Username not alphanumeric");
       }
    }
    once again, the comment tells you this block of code checks the username the user just submitted for errors. the only problem with this is that the second part of this check looks to make sure username is not alphanumeric. the problem? email addresses are not alphanumeric and entering one without altering the script with throw an error every time. you have two options here: you can either take the much harder, more programming correct route and edit the regular expression code to properly accept email addresses as well as usernames. or you can take the ridiculous easy route and just comment out those lines of code. since im lazy and running out of time im just gonna comment out the three lines that check this and move on. of course if you are interested in doing it the 'right way' i encourage you to do so.
    Code:
    }
    else{
       /* Check if username is not alphanumeric */
    #   if(!eregi("^([0-9a-z])*$", $subuser)){
    #      $form->setError($field, "* Username not alphanumeric");
    #   }
    }
    ok so now that that is taken care of, theres one other thing we have to do. this script was never intended to use email addresses as a method for a log on so almost all the data that makes this script work correctly looks for the username. thats why we needed to pass the username back to session.php just before. look for the following block of code in session.php (around line 170)
    Code:
    /* Username and password correct, register session variables */
    $this->userinfo  = $database->getUserInfo($subuser);
    $this->username  = $_SESSION['username'] = $this->userinfo['username'];
    $this->userid    = $_SESSION['userid']  = $this->generateRandID();
    $this->userlevel = $this->userinfo['userlevel'];
    the comment tells us that this block of code register session variables because the username and password are both correct. the only thing is that if the user logged on with their email address, this code will be incorrectly registering that email address as the username. we can fix this by changing the code above to:
    Code:
    /* Username and password correct, register session variables */
    if(isset($result[1])){
       $this->userinfo  = $database->getUserInfo($result[1]);
    }
    else{
       $this->userinfo  = $database->getUserInfo($subuser);
    }

$this->username  = $_SESSION['username'] = $this->userinfo['username'];
    $this->userid    = $_SESSION['userid']  = $this->generateRandID();
    $this->userlevel = $this->userinfo['userlevel'];
    one more time, this runs a check to see if $result[1] (our username passed from database.php in the $return_array array) exists and if it does, we use that array value as the argument in $database->getUserInfo. now that we have the correct value, that should pass it on to everything else that needs it and all should be good! like i said, im sure there are a bunch of different ways you could have accomplished this but this way is working for me. if you see something you arent sure about or you think something may work out better for you feel free to comment or ask questions or to just up and change whatever you want.

let me know what you think! let me know if it works for you!!
    valeryo
    valeryo

Post  valeryo Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Thank you, this is exhaustive guide. Very very good.

For the regex for the e-mail it'could be this:

Code:

}
    else{
      /* Check if username is not alphanumeric and is email */
      if((!eregi("^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,3})$", $subuser)) && (!eregi("^([0-9a-z])*$", $subuser))){
          $form->setError($field, "* Username not alphanumeric and not e-mail");
      }
    }

What do you think??
    Siggles
    Siggles

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2011-09-03

Post  Siggles Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:00 am

Hi, just to let you know there is an updated version of the scrip there - http://www.angry-frog.com It has a lot of the features already in place that people are asking for, including e-mail and admin activation and I have updated the admin backend. Let me know what you think.

PS, there are instructions there too on how to add extra fields.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:16 am